FAQ about Brand Photography.
Personal branding intentionally establishes and promotes a unique and authentic image, reputation, and message of oneself to others. It involves identifying and showcasing one's strengths, skills, expertise, values, and personality in a way that sets them apart from their competition.
A consistent and compelling personal brand identity creates a memorable and impactful impression on a well-defined target audience. This process helps individuals achieve personal and career goals, build a strong network, attract opportunities, and establish themselves as industry leaders or influencers.
Customized photographs used to capture and communicate the unique brand of individuals or businesses. This process involves carefully crafting images that showcase a business or person’s values, personality, style, message, and story. This approach creates a powerful and authentic identity, allowing people to connect with the brand on a deeper level.
Building a personal brand is for anyone who wants to establish and promote their unique identity, expertise, and value proposition in their personal or professional life. It is vital for entrepreneurs, freelancers, consultants, job seekers, professionals, and executives who want to stand out in a competitive market. A strong brand identity helps one build their network, attract career opportunities, and establish themselves as thought leaders or experts in their industry. However, personal branding is not limited to these individuals and can benefit anyone who wants to develop a distinct and impactful unique brand image.
Lifestyle photography captures people at a precise moment in any real-life situation in an artistic way. Its primary aim is to tell stories similar to editorial photography, which are images that appear in newspapers and magazines.
People like lifestyle photography because it captures moments and scenes that reflect a desirable or aspirational way of life during different times of their lives. They often showcase beautiful settings, stylish aesthetics, and relatable situations that evoke positive emotions and desires in viewers. It allows individuals to imagine themselves in those situations or experience a sense of escapism.
Lifestyle photography can connect the viewer and the subject, making it a powerful tool for brands and individuals to convey their personal brand message or promote a particular lifestyle or product. Additionally, lifestyle photography can evoke a sense of nostalgia, warmth, and authenticity, capturing candid moments and genuine emotions that resonate with viewers.
A lifestyle photographer typically has experience in multiple disciples of photography besides portraiture, such as street photography, commercial, wedding, landscape, and even wildlife.
Personal branding is not solely about showcasing existing accomplishments or achievements but also about conveying your unique values, expertise, personality, and potential to others. You can start building your brand at any stage of your personal or professional journey, regardless of your level of success.
Creating a solid personal brand will help you gain visibility and attract opportunities. By focusing on your strengths, consistently communicating your message, and demonstrating your passion and potential, you can build a personal brand that sets you apart and helps you stand out in your chosen field. As you refine your skills and achieve accomplishments, you will strengthen your brand identity that resonates with others and drives your professional growth.
If you are not already well-known or successful, there are several strategies you can employ to make your brand stand out:
1. Identify your unique value proposition: Determine what makes you unique, what sets you apart, and what value you can bring to the table, such as your skills, expertise, experiences, or personal traits.
2. Develop a solid online presence: Utilize social media platforms, blogs, websites, or online portfolios to establish a professional online presence. Consistently share valuable content, insights, and expertise aligning with your brand message.
3. Showcase your expertise: Seek opportunities to share your knowledge and demonstrate your expertise; this could include writing articles, speaking at events, participating in industry forums, or hosting webinars or workshops.
4. Network strategically: Build relationships with individuals in your industry or field who can help elevate your brand. Attend networking events, engage in online communities, and collaborate and partner with others in your industry to increase your visibility and reach.
5. Be consistent and authentic: Ensure your brand message is consistent across all platforms and interactions. Be true to yourself and let your personality shine through.
6. Create a compelling personal brand story: Develop a narrative communicating your journey, values, and aspirations that can capture attention and leave a lasting impression.
7. Provide value and engage with your audience: Focus on providing value by sharing helpful insights, tips, and advice. Engage with your audience by responding to comments, asking and answering questions, and participating in discussions to build rapport.
Remember, building a personal brand takes time and consistency. Continuously invest in your personal and professional growth, and stay committed to showcasing your unique value to create a personal brand that makes a lasting impact.
Very few of my clients know what their brand stands for. Defining our brand is challenging because we are so close to it. Sometimes our opinions and insecurities get in the way, causing us to doubt and rethink ourselves constantly. Our society has taught us that bragging about our accomplishments is selfish. However, the point is not to "brag." It's to show value to an audience you want to work with. And trust me, our followers want us to succeed.
All our branding photography sessions include:
- Brand development - a blueprint of your brand persona and your target audience
- Story creation
- Mood board
- Session planning and prep guide.
To get started, schedule a BRAND STRATEGY SESSION. Whether you work with us or not, you will get great insight in this free consultation.
Continue to question #8 below on the "steps to start building your brand." We help you with steps 1-3 and 5.
Here are some steps to build a personal brand:
1. Define your personal brand identity: Identify your strengths, values, passions, and unique qualities that set you apart from others.
2. Determine your target audience: Understand who you want to connect with, influence, and serve.
3. Develop a personal brand message: Craft a clear and concise message that communicates your unique value and what you stand for.
4. Establish a professional online presence: Create a website or blog, use social media platforms, and optimize your LinkedIn profile to showcase your expertise and engage with your audience.
5. Create valuable content: Share your insights, knowledge, and expertise through blog posts, articles, videos, or podcasts.
6. Network and build relationships: Attend industry events, join professional groups, and engage with others in your field to expand your network and build meaningful connections.
7. Consistency is key: Ensure your brand message and visuals are consistent across all platforms and communications.
8. Engage with your audience: Respond to comments, questions, and messages, and proactively engage with your audience through social media, email marketing, or live events.
9. Seek opportunities to showcase your expertise: Speak at conferences, participate in panel discussions, write for industry publications, or host webinars to establish yourself as an expert.
10. Continuously learn and grow: Invest in your personal and professional development to stay up-to-date with industry trends, enhance your skills, and evolve your brand.
Building a personal brand is an ongoing process, so be patient, consistent, and authentic in your efforts.
We offer many photography sessions for business outreach or personal expression. Our prices start at just $325 and go up to $5,000, depending on the type of photography you're looking for.
Our Premium Branding Sessions offer unmatched personalization and attention to detail meant to produce results, whether it is for a Personal Branding Photoshoot or a Corporate Event requiring headshots of all staff, editorials, and/or product photography.
We work with you to understand your vision and bring it to life. Our branding packages start at only $1700, not considering extended shoot times, sometimes multiple locations, and expert editing. Our Premium Sessions ensure that every aspect of your photography session is a tailored experience.
At the lower end of the price range, we have our Mini Sessions. These are perfect for someone looking for a quick and affordable photo shoot, whether for a professional headshot, family portrait, or a couple's session. Starting at $100, our Mini Sessions offer a shorter duration but still deliver high-quality photographs that capture your special moments.
Lastly, we offer our Elite Sessions, starting at $5,000. These are exclusive luxury packages designed for those seeking the absolute pinnacle of photography services for high-profile clients, celebrities, and VIPs who demand extraordinary results and unparalleled professionalism.
If you have a project you want to discuss
Book a Complimentary Consultation
Please note that additional services and products, such as prints, albums, and digital copies, are available for an additional cost.
Super easy, you can book a session right now! Simply click the link below, choose a date for your session from our calendar and submit the form. We will contact you to confirm and finalize the booking and forward you detailed information about what to expect.
If you prefer, give us a call right now at (805) 440-3655.
Please Note: Our studio is often booked full 1-2 months out, so keep that in mind if you’re planning to hit a specific deadline or give as gifts.
FAQ about a Photography Session.
Photo sessions take place in my home studio in downtown San Luis Obispo or, if necessary, on location within San Luis Obispo County and throughout California (travel fees may apply).
We can plan to photograph you at your place of business, your home, or one of the many beautiful scenic areas available on the central coast, outdoors or indoors. (please note some locations may have media fees to photograph onsite and require permission in advance, such as the Madonna Inn)
NOT FROM SLO TOWN?
We are available for hire in your city of choice and abroad. Sessions can be for yourself or save money by planning a group of entrepreneurs who need branding photography like you.
Come to San Luis Obispo. If you don't know this area, imagine your plane landing at an airport surrounded by rolling hills covered in golden vineyards—the Central Coast of California is a dream vacation destination. Probably the best place you can escape and focus on your brand and photography. Visit Madonna Inn, shop at our quaint downtown shops, basque on the beach, surfing/kayaking/boating, Hearst Castle, and the many (over 250) wineries in San Luis Obispo Counties.
Weight is a common concern with my people, especially women, but there is no reason to put off having your portraits done. I have photographed many women and understand the best angles and techniques to make them look their best.
Every photoshoot is different. A headshot is a closeup but also very forgiving on the body, and something more lifestyle will be very candid and not so posed. If your goals are to create photographs for business, the best solution is to begin realizing that you are okay exactly how you are. If your goal is more personal, then we'll discuss all your concerns before your session.
The one thing that will improve anyone's visual image is the right wardrobe. No matter what kind of session you're doing, we'll send you tips on what to wear and how to prepare for your photoshoot. We suggest wardrobe styles and colors if you're working with us for a branding session. However, we also have a Style Consultant that takes the guesswork out of choosing your wardrobe. She will pick outfits that are not just stylish but fit your body shape to give you the most flattering look.
Check out my PORTFOLIO to see samples of women of all sizes.
Review WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
The key to successful brand photography is to showcase your essence and illustrate your brand story. The photographs will automatically give you a higher perceived value, so your wardrobe must be spot-on. Your clothes must fit perfectly, be the right colors for your brand and skin tone, flatter your body type, and reflect your brand essence.
We always suggest wardrobe styles that are timeless and classic. We will send you ideas and tips to help you make the right choices. However, every brand is unique. It is up to you to ensure the final decisions reflect who you are. The goal is to look and feel your best during your photo shoot.
Part of our branding session includes blueprinting your brand and creating a Mood Board, a visual representation of ideas, themes, and emotions that captures a project's overall aesthetic and direction. Typically, we'll review this when discussing your clothing colors.
Are you someone who doesn't know their style or hates the wardrobe in their closet?
Many women are wardrobe-challenged today; this may be a time to shop. We work with an outstanding Style Consultant who will help you pick the perfect outfits for your photoshoot. She will make her selections based on colors, fit, style, and body shape. She'll tell you exactly what you need to buy if you lack key elements. If you want to, you can also hire her to go shopping with you.
Of course, I will; that is my job and one of the reasons why you’re hiring me. In fact, nearly all the people in my portfolio have never had any modeling experience in the past.
I am not intimidating, and I will give you easy-to-follow instructions and directions regarding body position. I sometimes work at capturing a reaction out of you, even if it is in the middle of a conversation. Plus, I am very descriptive in getting you to feel an emotion.
I WILL NEVER SAY “look sexy” or “work the camera” or any other vague directions like that unless I’m just trying to be funny… Oh, I am that too… FUNNY, that is! 🤣
Check this out...
"I've had many photos shoots with Gina over the past few years and it has always been a fun experience. Gina is the utmost professional but her sense of humor is priceless as she gets you comfortable in front of the camera. She is amazing! Beth McGill
That is a great question to ask for you to understand our timeline. For most of my sessions, we will have your portraits ready to view within 7-10 workdays. I understand you want to see the images ASAP, but we also want you to see them edited and finished.
You will view your portraits in a private online gallery. However, you can also preview them at our Studio in San Luis Obispo. Just let us know.
Full branding packages take more time because we about triple the amount of images you’ll preview. While I’m editing someone's images I am also developing a plan on how to use those images in their marketing, which also takes a bit more time. Expect about 2-3 weeks.
Digital packages only:
It depends on the size of your order (package). All digital images will be finished and retouched, but 6-10 images will take about 7-10 days. A portfolio of 20 images will take up to 10-14 workdays, and a portfolio of 50 will take up to 3 weeks.
If you order prints or products:
Prints and enlargements, such as canvas or metal prints, will be available for pick-up or delivery 3-6 weeks after the order date. If you need items sooner than that, we can have your order ready in as little as 5-10 business days with a $200 rush fee.
I photograph you as long as it takes until I know I’ve produced enough great shots for you to look at. However, here are average time frames
- Business Headshot Session about an hour.
- Lifestyle Session is about 2-2.5 hours on average.
- Branding Sessions can be up to 4 hours. Our full Branding Package can be 4 or more hours or broken down into two days.
- Event photography is the only service I offer in which I charge for time, so it depends on your event and how long you want photographic coverage.